Monday, June 30, 2008

Poem for Midlife women and their Mothers

August Third
by May Sarton

These days
lifting myself up
like a heavy weight,
old camel getting to her knees
I think of my mother
and the inexhaustible flame
that kept her alive
until she died.

She knew all about fatigue
and how one pushes it aside
for staking up the lilies
early in the morning,
the way one pushes it aside
for a friend in need,
for a hungry cat.

Mother, be with me
today on your birthday.
I am older than you were
when you died
thirty-five years ago.
Thinking of you
the old camel gets to her knees,
stands up,

Moves forward slowly
into the new day.

If you taught me one thing
It was never to fail life.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Just a note to say how much I loved this poem. I relate so well... I find myself talking to my mother a lot these days, and she's been gone now 10 years. Thanks for posting such a thoughtful piece.
Lori

Creative Soulful Woman said...

Lori,
glad you enjoyed it. Poetry has such an impact, when it's well stated and compact.
jenn